Hard Lessons


Composers who create music for film and television need thick skin. It's a hard lesson to learn that it doesn't matter how much time you spent creating the track or how great you think it is; the only thing that matters is whether it works for the user or not.

I was once hired to create music for a short film for IBM. It was a big break for me, and I worked like crazy to create a track that had the excitement and energy the visuals and editing style needed. I was up all night getting it perfect.
Early studio days at Omni. Aaah, analog!

The next morning the producer from IBM showed up at my studio to hear the track. I played it for him and held my breath.

"It doesn't really work for me," he said. "What else have you got?"

I was devastated. I started to protest that the track was great, that it fit the picture perfectly and that I had almost killed myself to get it done. But he was unmoved.

That afternoon I created another piece that was, I thought, not nearly as good. The producer loved it. And hired me again for the next job.

Lesson learned. If the music doesn't work for the user, nothing else matters.


Comments

Popular Posts